Adding a patio cover to your yard is a great way to make your outdoor living space more functional. Not only do these patio covers protect you from the sun's rays and inclement weather, but they can add visual interest to your home as well. In order to ensure that your patio cover is performing to the best of its ability, proper maintenance is required.
Here are some tips you can use to keep your patio cover clean in the future.
Cleaning Wood Patio Covers
Many home owners like the look of natural wood patio covers. These patio covers lend a rustic feel to any outdoor space, but they can be difficult to maintain.
Here are 3 tips you can rely on when it comes to cleaning your wood patio cover:
- Use Bleach—If you find that your wood deck is plagued by mold or mildew, using a bleach solution will allow you to get rid of these unwanted visitors in a hurry. Be sure that you use the proper dilution ratio to ensure that your bleach solution is not too strong.
- Use A Power Washer—Over time, dirt and debris can become caked onto the surface of your wood patio cover. By investing in a power washer, you make it much easier to remove this dirt and debris. Power washers harness the force of pressurized water to get rid of even the toughest dirt from your wood's surface.
- Use A Weather Sealant—Protecting your wood patio cover from wear is essential when it comes to maintaining a clean look. Just be sure that you use a stripper to remove any residual gunk before applying a fresh coat of waterproof weather sealant.
Cleaning Vinyl Patio Covers
Home owners today enjoy to modern look of vinyl patio covers. If you have investing in a vinyl patio cover yourself, the maintenance requirements are not as intensive as those required to maintain wood patio covers.
Here are 3 tips you can use to help keep your vinyl patio cover clean:
- Use Laundry Detergent—Filling a large bucket with 4 gallons of water and one-fourth cup laundry detergent creates a cleaning solution that is extremely effective when it comes to keeping your vinyl patio cover looking spotless.
- Use Bathtub Cleaner—The surface of your vinyl patio cover can become stained over time. To remove these stains, try using a bit of bathtub cleaner and a nylon scrub pad. Mix in some old fashioned elbow grease, and you will be able to get rid of stains in no time.
- Stay Away From Bleach—While most home owners think that bleach is an all-purpose household cleaner, the use of bleach to clean vinyl patio covers should be avoided. The harsh chemicals found in bleach can corrode the surface of your vinyl, resulting in unsightly holes.
When you have the ability to keep your patio cover clean, your outdoor living area becomes more enjoyable. Try implementing the simple tips outlined above to help you better care for your wood or vinyl patio cover in the future.